While I could go on and on about why PGSG should pass this resolution, I decided it would be best to present a concise list of five reasons to support, "A Resolution Supporting the Inclusion of Gender Identity and Expression, Genetic Information, and Political Affiliation to the University’s Non-Discrimination Policy."
1. Purdue University is the only Big Ten University not to include Gender Identity and Expression in its Non-Discrimination Policies in some way. This really is an embarrassment, and Purdue's ranking have been affected by the lack of its inclusion.
2. The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Policy became law on May 21st, 2008. This act passed the House of Representatives 414 - 1, and protects Americans from discrimination on the basis of genetic test results.
3. The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr Hate Crime Prevention Act became law on October 28th, 2009. It should be noted that both of Indiana's Senators - Democrat Senator Bayh and Republican Senator Lugar - voted for this law. This act added gender identity to national Hate Crimes legislation.
4. Purdue University will produce some of the world's leaders, and those leaders need to be able to safely develop a political voice.
5. The addition of Gender Identity and Expression to the Nondiscrimination Policy would be a low cost way for Purdue University to enhance its reputation and regain lost ranking due to the lack of its inclusion. Adding Genetic Information and Political Affiliation will show Purdue University as a forward-thinking institution anticipating future problems and producing future leaders.
I have no idea what the PGSG meeting will hold, regardless, the good fight will continue. This resolution is important and means a lot to a large number of people. Support for the policy has been obvious throughout this effort, and I hope PGSG follows PSG's steps and unanimously supports amending the Nondiscrimination Policy. I can not stress enough how much this resolution means to some people.
Edit: The Purdue Graduate Student Government Meeting is March 1st at 6:00pm in KRAN G005.